Every written grievance should contain the five W’s
Who * Why * When * Where * What
- Who was involved? Names, lodge number, jobs, department
- Why is it a grievance? Seniority bypass, pay shortage, unjust treatment,
violation of past practices, safety hazards
- When did it happen? Date, time– Show the date the grievance occurred,
not when written.
- Where did it happen? Plant,
- What settlement is wanted?
Enforce contract, be put on job,
adjust seniority, retroactive
pay–If the settlement is to be
retroactive, this should be
Union Fact Sheet can be Printed or Downloaded!